Wednesday

MAST BROTHERS


Find the shortest, simplest way between earth, hands and the mouth.
- Lanza del Vasto

In a 100-year-old factory in Williamsburg, NY, Rick and Michael Mast handcraft each chocolate batch from scratch, from grinding their own cocoa beans to wrapping each bar in their signature packaging. " The Mast Brothers Chocolate Factory is New York City's only bean to bar chocolate factory. There is a dedication to purity and an intensity of flavor in their chocolate which is very unusual." - The Selby

I feel that it must be greatly fulfilling to have one place, one pursuit, both simple; and to dedicate everything to them, thereby giving each action dignity. The most infinite artistry can be found the most simple. Leonardo da Vinci said something along that line, I believe. But it puts me in mind of Wendell Berry: “I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my own where I have planted vines and orchard trees, and in the heat of the day climbed up into the healing shadow of the woods.”
Pictures from The Selby

No comments: